Selkirk Quality At An Affordable Price
This review is a follow up to our post, “Should I Upgrade To A Better Pickleball Paddle?”
Selkirk is a family owned pickleball paddle manufacturer in Idaho, and has become one of the premier producers of high quality paddles in the US. It is also one of the most expensive brands, and the first to sell a series of $200 paddles. But you don’t have to spend that much to get a real quality paddle for any level of play from Selkirk.
The Prime Epic X4 FiberFlex is a very fine all-around paddle. It benefits from many of the advanced technologies of the more expensive AMPED series without the steep price tag. It’s FiberFlex face and X4 core create a generous sweet spot and excellent power and control. It’s light weight allows for quick maneuverability coupled with great balance to keep you in control. The Prime Epic X4 also has a slightly longer than average handle (5 ¼”) which will appeal to tennis players who are more accustomed to a longer grip.
The Prime Epic X4 is both light and durable and comes with a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects. It is also available in four very attractive colors: blue, green, purple and red.
- Generous sweet spot for both control and power
- Narrow edge guard
- Very lightweight for quick response in volleys
- Firberglass face offers plenty of pop or power
- Quality construction with a lifetime warranty
- Fully USAPA approved
- Does not have all the latest Selkirk advancements (but costs a whole lot less)
- Skill Level: Advanced Beginner to Pro
- Weight Average: 7.6 ounces (Range: 7.3 – 7.8 oz.) [7.4 as tested]
- Grip Circumference: 4″ (Sm) or 4 1/4″ (Med) [4 1/8″ as tested]
- Grip Style: Selkirk ComfortGrip
- Grip Length: 5 ¼″
- Paddle Length: 15 ¾”
- Paddle Width: 8″ (Standard)
- Paddle Face Finish: FiberFlex (Fiberglass)
- Core Material: Polypropylene X4 Core
Edge Guard: EdgeSentry PRIME
Manufacturer: Selkirk Sports
Made In The USA